Monday, October 18, 2010

Gifts from a Psych Patient

NCMH changed the way I at look at psych patients. Just imagine an undifferentiated schiz patient who utters death, feces and urine at his delusional moments. He gave me weird things that helped me realize that he is a person of character: a person who is just sick and not a lunatic in a cell.

Weird things that made me roll on the floor… laughing.




Small Mango


Actually, when AC gave the mango to me, it was semi-rotten and was greenish-brown in color. He told me to eat it because he said that it is sweet. I told him that the mango is rotten and that it was not edible. As usual, he denied reality.

Big Rotten and Larvae-infested Mango

While accompanying AC to the water source for him to wash his hands, we came across a big mango. I was not surprised that he offered it again to me to eat it. He said that he will tell my mom that I don’t eat. I took the mango and hid it in my smock gown pocket; later on I discovered that it had stained my gown and my jeans. I threw the mango away.


Soap


While on Occupational Therapy, AC took out a square-shaped soap from his shorts. When I ask him where he was going to use it, he said that he will use it for bathing. But when I asked again, he said he was going to eat it.

The Rock


I actually forgot its story. Last thing I remember, he does not have plans on eating it. Thanks be to God.

Cigarette Butt


Before we started NPI, he picked up a cigarette butt. He said that he smokes. When I asked him what brands of cigarettes that he smokes, he said that he usually smokes CAMEL. I was about to change the topic when he added: “at saka tae”.

Salamat by Yeng Constantino

It wasn’t really a gift but I took it as a good bye present for me. Haha. I don’t know what prompted him to sing like that.

Cha: AC, dito na napuputol ang ugnayan natin. Hindi mo na ako makikita ulit, pero sa isang linggo, may papalit sa akin upang ipagpatuloy ito. Salamat sa lahat ng pagbabahagi mo sa akin tungkol sa iyong sarili, salamat din sa blah blah blah blah.......

AC: stares blankly......

Cha: ahhhh, AC, wala ka bang gustong sabihin?

AC: Kung ito man ang huling awiting aawitin....(Sings Salamat... with different lyrics about death, dying, feces and putang***s)

Sir J: Wahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (patago)

Cha: Wow, salamat sa kanta!

AC: Balik na ko!

I am just happy that before we left I know that I left something for him to keep and he did the same. Holy cow, I still can’t get over that song. Whenever I hear it playing from my laptop, I laugh, nonstop.