Friday, March 18, 2011

The Land of Cherry Blossoms

October 2009, My feet departed the Philippines' soil and landed on Narita Airport's cockpit to participate in Japan Exchange Program, a joint project of St. Paul University Manila and Sendai Shirayuri Women's College.
It was my first time to leave the country. I was lucky enough that my parents allowed me to go to Japan. I asked my parents repeatedly if they are sure of what they are saying because the fee is not a joke. I never asked for anything that cost around1000-1200 US dollars, ever, in my whole entire life except that time. Then again my Mom and Dad insisted... thus this photo:
Of course, extreme happiness is what I felt. This is Japan! Trains, food, culture, people and technology. What more can you ask for?
Day 1: It is all about travel. I am used to travel by plane, train and feet but if it's Japan, everything is different. The Plane, North West Airlines, never sat in on a plane seat for 4 hours. It doesn't matter because the food was great! Train, good Lord, the trains were 1,000,000X better than here in PH! The Bullet train or The Shinkansen is phenomenal. The Tokyo Direct, sosy! Feet, my God, imagine that all people knows the meaning of: "Keep Right".
Shinkansen, Most commonly known as "The Bullet Train"


Day 2: We visited Sendai Shirayuri Women's College and Murasakiyama Gakuen High School, which is also Run by Paulinian Congregation. The former is the host school for the exchange student program. As I have said on my multiply account, dated October 23, 2009:

"Went all the way to Sendai Shirayuri Women's College to be greeted by Sweet smiles and big hugs. Got blown away by the schools facility. Man, SPUM is JURASSIC!" 

"Went to Murasakiyama Gakuen High School. Met smart girls and again was blown away by the school's facilities. Man, SPUM is Prehistoric!" 

Seriously, it was hard not to compare but I did compared our school from theirs. haha. But a school is a school when it teaches its students lessons in life, the structure doesn't matter after all. I am a SPUMer and a little bit Shirayuri-er. hehe


Day 3: Hospital Visit! Saka General Hospital and Spellman Hospital, we are not allowed to take pictures of the facilities at Saka Gen so you won't appreciate what's inside. However, as I wrote in my multiply account (which will tell you how fascinated I am with this hospital to the point that I want to change my nationality):  
Saka General Hospital

Nurse's Station at Spellman Hospital

"Visited Saka General Hospital. Almost had seizure upon seeing the super-kaduper-overly-advanced technology of the hospital. face palmed for being ashamed of our health care system. Then went to Spellman Hospital"

I mean come on! Who wants to leave this country? Rich, cold, nice, clean and full of love. Even cuddly bear at Sendai station can honestly hug a big headache such as me. Oh, and for the record, I didn't sweat or reapplied deodorant during my stay. Wahi!


Day 4: Socialization. If socialization is what you are talking about, then it's crunch time: Application of what we have learned at CHN. However, Shirayuri doesn't need CDx. We had basic Nihongo and Origami lessons. After which we joined the school festival to socialize and meet new friends. I tell you, they are really nice people. They will hug so tight when you ask them to and feel like you are long-time friends. Some might be good in English but for those who are not good, they will not run away or look at you like an alien. They are very polite and they try their best to communicate with you. That is why I love them so much. 
Origami

played games and won sweets

wore a really tight kimono. hehe

goofed around with the cosplay people

Shinto Temple at Sendai Castle

Day 5: We attended a Japanese mass and met with the Filipino community. Architecture is superb here. Even the church looks soo fab!

The Filipino Community, a few of them

We went back again to Shirayuri to join the school festival. Our lunch was prepared by the nutrition department. Very hearty, nutritious and symbolic, I love it. 
It doesn't seem like they cooked and prepared the food. Hindi kase sila mukhang Haggard-ja. hehe

After lunch, I found the cutest cheerleader alive!

After The festival, I ate the best ramen I have ever tasted, I almost drowned from the broth. Puno na kasi yung tiyan ko pero I kept on gulping it. We did a little shopping around Sendai City and took pictures of usual things that are unusual in the PH.

Shiseido. Unusual for a poor person (like me)

Toilet. With control buttons.

Really cool subway roof.

This kind of traffic is rare in PH, not to mention the clean road


Day 6: We will leave Sendai City for Tokyo so we checked out APA hotel. We went to Matsushima, a popular tourist destination on the Northern part of Japan. We fed seagulls, almost fed them my finger. haha.



After enjoying the short cruise at Matsushima, We went to Caritas, a home for the aged facility. Again, I rolled on the floor because of the facilities which I didn't even know that exist.


SAYONARA PARTY: This is where I realized that we are truly loved by the people we met. We prefer being called FAMILY, than friends.





Day 7: Life must go on... in Tokyo Disney Land!

Jesse from Toy Story

The Iconic Disney Palace

Day 8: Ba-bye na  @ Narita Airport in Tokyo.



This is just a quarter of the story. If only my 1500+ pictures can talk and can all be posted in one go. Then you will feel what I felt.

->cha