Friday, March 18, 2011

Series of Unfortunate Events (Not the book)

This is the series of events that led to my "Touchy-feely" status.


March 11, 2011: Japan was hit by a 8.9 magnitude earthquake and triggered a tsunami that hit the northern part of Japan. Northern Japan means to me: SENDAI. I felt a sudden chill, then shock. I do not know what to do for a moment. I checked the net if it is really Sendai. Holy crap... it is. 30 minutes after the tragedy, my hands were shaking while sending an email to all my friends in Sendai. I could not contain myself and I started to cry. I took my phone and started calling them one by one. No answer.





All I can do now is watch the news, my problem is I can't even sit still on the couch. I can not even held my hands together in a sturdy way when I prayed. All I can think about is: are they ok? alive? I don't know. After I don't know how many hours, one friend posted on FB that they are ok. Somehow I was able to breath. Hour after hour is becoming unbearable because hour after hour, I will see videos and pictures of the ruins.



Sendai in Ruins:
http://en.rian.ru/photolents/20110317/163059502_3.html


March 12: Death toll predicted: 10,000. I was watching tv at the waiting lounge of an OPD. When BBC said that over at Miyagi Prefecture almost 10,000 was reported missing. I was losing blood on my head. Miyagi is where most of my friends resides.


http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Sendai-Struggles-to-Hang-On-After-Quake-Tsunami-117953989.html


March 13, 14, 15: One by one our friends have been doing their best to tell us they are ok. Somehow, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel.


March 16: A heart breaking Email from Riko, shows their suffering:


"Hi.
I'm ok and my family are all ok.
but i can't use water and electricity.
I'll do my best.
thank you" 

March 17: I posted Riko's email at FB to let my other friends know about the situation. Minutes later a deranged jokester cracked a pseudo-razor-sharp-common-sense-question to me. This is not really a good time for things like this. If you were in my situation, this is definitely rude and degrading. Considering the gravity of the situation where food is scarce and energy is limited receiving an email is a gift from above. Even if they are suffering they still make ways to let them know they are safe. Do not bullshit me about your crap. The first comment: I told myself, well yeah, she has a point, I will answer your question and will not make shit about this at all. But then I realized I am not granting my friends justice, thus, the second comment. I just want you to be sensitive next time, it is not everyday a town, where you are once at have been hit by a tsunami, realizing that your friends lived there. Simply just watching the news is Agony. So do not in anyway redeem yourself by telling me that you'll pray for them... do it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_icequeen_galleries/5534940642/

March 18-19: This blog: Series of Unfortunate Events (Not the book) and Land of Cherry Blossoms was written.

I, tenk you. baw.

-cha